Home » Assignments
MOBilisation in Nederland
Typical recent assignments
Here we present a list with typical recent (2001-2011) assignments of MOB staff. This list is not exhaustive.
- Set up of a risk-based inspection system for economic free zones in Jordan: client: European Commission
- Evaluation of the Regional Environmental Programme 2006-2010 for the Western Balkans, client: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Evaluation of the Dutch environmental policies for the Western Balkans 2004-2008, client: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Assessment of the effects on public health of a new C2000 network in Maastricht due to exposure to pulsed high-frequency electromagnetic radiation (2010).
- Assessment of the viability and effects of an incineration plant for chicken manure in Hoogezand-Sappemeer (2009)
- Providing long-term assistance to the city of Sliedrecht focusing on licensing and enforcement of major industries including DuPont, Zavin, HVC and the waste disposal site DMH/Delta in Dordrecht (2006 to date)
- Implementation of EU's IPPC Directive in Croatia 2007 - 2010 (project recently succesfully completed) in the framework of the upcoming membership of Croatia to the EU, assignment on behalf of the European Commission
- Providing assistance to international and Dutch NGO's related to the construction of 4 new coal fired power plants in The Netherlands (2007 to date)
- Supervision and providing assistance to a scheme on renewal of the IPPC permits of all 5 refineries in The Netherlands including Shell, Exxon, BP, KPE and Total, assignment on behalf of Stichting Natuur & Milieu (2007 to date)
- Implementation of a training programme for administration in Croatia on EU procurement rules under the IPA programme (based on PRAG Manual) and HelpDesk for drafting of ToRs and Suply Tenders
- Implementation of EU's IPPC Directive in Turkey (2003 - 2007). Assignment on behalf of Netherlands Government
- Consistency check of programmes and projects to be financed by EU to Turkey in 2005, 2006 and 2007 (total package about € 1.5 billion. Three tendered and subsequent assignments on behalf of Turkish Government and European Commission
- Review of about 50 IPPC permit applications and draft permits per year on behalf of Society for Nature and Environment (largest environment NGO in the Netherlands), including technical assistance for subsequent court actions
- Ex-ante evaluation of applications in the field of themes environment and water‚ on behalf of the Dutch Development Cooperation Fund (total € 2 billion)
- Ex-post Evaluation of a € 7 billion Cohesion Fund grant scheme for Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Greece, 2004. Assignment on behalf of Ecorys/European Commission
- Training of Hungarian experts in the field of Ex-Ante, Mid-term and Ex-post evaluation in relation to implementation of Structural and Cohesion Funds, Hungary 2003/2004. Assignment on behalf of the Prime Ministers Office /Senter.
- Drafting of project fiches for transposition of the Wastes, Biocides and Noise directives in Turkey for the Environment programme 2004, Turkey 2004. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission
- Drafting of the terms of reference for the introduction of the Water Framework Directive in two regions/Drafting of the technical specifications for a related supply project, Romania 2003/2004. Assignment on behalf of CFCU/European Commission
- Providing assistance to the Romanian Ministry of Environment and the CFCU in monitoring of implementation of the Water Framework Directive, Romania 2004. Assignment on behalf of CFCU/European Commission.
- Identification and formulation of a project to support Romania with the implementation of the Water Framework Directive and Integrated Coastal Zone Management in transitional and coastal waters, 2002. Assignment on behalf of Senter in cooperation with RIZA
- Providing assistance to the EU Delegation and CFCU in Budapest on procurement projects, Hungary 2000-2004. Assignment on behalf of CFCU/European Commission
- Gap filling for EDIS/Drafting of Operational Manuals for the ISPA-EDIS programme in Hungary, 2002/2003. Assignment on behalf of CFCU/European Commission
- Assessment of environmental performance, and compliance checking as regards the license, and proposing enforcement measures for approximately 35 plants in several industrial sectors, The Netherlands 1999 to date. Various clients
- Drafting of the terms of reference for a cleaner production project in Kazakhstan, Georgia, Moldova, 2002. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission
- Evaluation of 4 projects in the field of energy and environment in Macedonia, Moldova, 2001-2002. Assignment on behalf of the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Evaluation of infrastructural components of the Phare environmental programme in Latvia, 2001. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission
- Implementation of a training programme for Government officials in the field of project preparation, monitoring of implementation and evaluation, Poland, "Czech Republic" and Slovak Republic, 2002. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission
- Evaluation of the subsidy scheme of the Netherlands Ministry of Environment for promotion of international cooperation in the field of environmental management. Europe/Asia 2000/2001. Assignment on behalf of the Ministry of Environment
- Training programme on programme cycle management, project management and logframe for officials of regional and municipal development offices, Poland/"Czech Republic" 2000. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission
Other assignments (1997-2001)
- Evaluation of the Tacis Interstate programme for Environment in the NIS, 1994-1998, implemented in 1999/2000. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission.
- Preparation of projects related to the implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive in Hungary, Poland, Romania and Turkey, 1999-2001. Assignment on behalf of the Netherlands Ministry of Economic Affairs.
- Natura 2000 project in Estonia. Implementation of the Birds Directive, SPA site selection, management planning and training of officials, 2000-2002. Assignment on behalf of the Netherlands Ministry of Economic Affairs.
- Effectiveness and efficiency assessment of the Netherlands bilateral assistance programmes related to environment and energy managed by Senter Internationaal, assignment on behalf of the Netherlands Government.
- MOB provided the environmental experts for several ISPA applications related to the constructions of landfills of waste, waste water treatment and railway-upgrading projects in central and Eastern Europe, 1998-2002. Assignments on behalf of the European Commission.
- Identification and drafting of the Environment Sector Operational Programme for 1999 in FYROM (Macedonia). Assignment on behalf of the European Commission.
- Monitoring and Assessment of the international seas programme of the European Commission. MOB concentrated on the Aral Sea Programme, Black Sea Programme, Caspian Sea Programme. Our experts have also drafted the ToR for the continuation of the Black Sea Environmental Programme. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission.
- Providing independent expertise to the Netherlands Environmental NGO (Society for Nature and Environment). MOB offered assistance in review of licenses and legal procedures throughout the Netherlands related to environmental licensing and enforcement. Furthermore our experts represent the Netherlands NGO community in the Netherlands Commission drafting the new Netherlands Air Emmission Act. 1999-2002. Assignment on behalf of the Society for Nature and Environment.
- Providing independent technical expertise to the Hungarian Commission Delegation in a € 3 Million supply project for laboratory equipment. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission.
- Strengthening the environmental management capacity of the National Environmental Inspection and its 12 Regional Inspectorates in Hungary. Assignment on behalf of the Netherlands Ministry of Economic Affairs (Senter).
- Training programme focusing on improving performance of Hungarian experts working in the Commission/Phare implementation structures. This includes training of the Central Finance and Contracts Unit (CFCU) and all Project Implementation Units (PIU)s. Assignment on behalf of the Hungarian State Treasury.
- Identification mission for the coastal erosion component of a World Bank Programme on Coastal Zone Management in Georgia. Assignment on behalf of the Netherlands Ministry of Economic Affairs (Senter). Implementation of a 1 MEuro training programme on behalf of the Commission DGI in all Phare DIS countries. This project dealt with the introduction of the revised DIS manual. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission.
- Introduction and training of the Commission‚Äôs new Decentralised Implementation System to all programme implementation structures (PMUs, PIUs, CFCUs, etc.) in all Phare beneficiary countries. This training programme was followed-up (see above project) by specific training projects for CFCUs and implementing line Ministries. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission.
- Traffic and environment related project in the Baltic States. Assignment on behalf of the Netherlands Ministry of Economic Affairs (Senter).
- Institutional and programme management expert to the Phare Environmental Programme PMU in the Ministry of Health and Environment of Albania.
- Assignment on behalf of the European Commission. Trainer to the Phare PMU in Albania at the Ministry of Agriculture on the project cycle and Phare DIS procedures for project implementation. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission. Training programme "Project Preparation and Appraisal Capabilities in Environmental Ministries and Funds in Central and Eastern European Countries". Assignment on behalf of the European Commission. Management of the implementation of the EU financed Water Sector Projects in Bosnia and Herzegovina (40 MEuro). Assignment on behalf of the European Commission. Quality assurance of Hungary environmental law harmonisation and policy preparation programme. Assignment on behalf of the Hungarian Government. Oil remediation project of the Baku Bay in the Caspian Sea. Assignment on behalf of the netherlands ministry of Economic Affairs. Development of a management plan for the Karavasta wetlands in Albania. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission. Organisation and management of the European Commission Phare Programme Management Unit (PMU) in Albania. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission. Design and (supervision of) construction of a waste water treatment (chromium recycling) plant in the largest tannery in Nicaragua. This project is currently being followed up by additional projects in Central America for other tanneries. Assignment on behalf of the Municipality of Utrecht. Remediation plan for a pulp and paper plant in Romania and a viscose production plant in Slovakia aiming at the reduction of pollution to surface water. Development of a combined (industrial and municipal) waste water treatment plant in Bulgaria. Project preparation and development and guidance on financing options. Assignment on behalf of the Danube Programme Co-ordination Unit in Vienna. Development of Project Preparation and Appraisal Capabilities in environmental Ministries and Funds. Training courses have been given in 6 CEE countries. A manual on project preparation was prepared. Assignment on behalf of the European Commission.
Other major assignments include (1990-1997):
- Management and execution of the Danube Integrated Environmental Study and the Danube Applied Research Programme Development of water quality targets and monitoring system for the Danube river.
- Long-term technical assistance to the Phare Programme Coordination Unit in Budapest, Hungary during 1990-1993.
- Project preparation and management of a major project on "greening" of the busfleet of Budapest for the city of Budapest/BKV. This finally resulted into a major assistance programme from the Dutch Government (grant basis) and a major EBRD loan for improving public transport in Budapest and further reduce emissions from private and public transport (especially diesel buses).